Our firm’s Higher Education practice group is a multidisciplinary team committed to helping colleges and universities navigate the ever-changing higher education landscape. Our attorneys have expertise in various areas affecting academic institutions, including: regulatory compliance, labor and employment, governance, corporate transactions, bond financing, tax, intellectual property, real estate, construction, environmental, data privacy and cybersecurity, internal investigations, advising distressed institutions, and litigation.
A Full Range of Legal Services Tailored to the Needs of Academic Clients
Our team works closely with our clients’ executive teams, institutional counsel, administrators, and staff to provide a full range of legal and advisory services in areas specific to academia, such as:
- Academic, college and student affairs
- Accreditation and recertification
- Campus construction, land acquisition, and redevelopment
- Campus safety and security
- Disability accommodations and student services
- Distance learning
- Faculty compensation and benefits
- Faculty contracts, tenure, termination, and promotion
- Federal law compliance and guidance (including Title VII, Title IX, FERPA, HIPAA, and ADA)
- Financial aid
- Foreign programs and affiliations
- Grant and scholarship agreements
- Governance and board issues
- Institutional financing
- Intellectual property protection, licensing and technology transfer
- Internal grievance and disciplinary procedures
- Investigative services
- Tax compliance issues for 501(c)(3) organizations and tax-exempt financing
- Planned giving and development
- Policy development and implementation
Mindful of the economic realities facing academic institutions, our focus is on providing practical solutions to complex legal problems that avoid unnecessary burden and expense.
A Reputation Built on Experience and Tradition
Our firm has built its reputation over decades of serving institutional and corporate clients. Our attorneys are well known for their experience in their areas of practice and many members of our firm have earned national recognition. Several of our attorneys serve as adjunct professors at colleges and universities and as lecturers for continuing legal education (CLE) seminars; and, like our higher education clients, we take pride in helping to foster growth and innovation in our local communities.
As legal counsel to colleges and universities, we rely on our attorneys’ vast knowledge and broad-based experience to help institutional and departmental leaders make informed and strategic decisions with their institutions’ immediate and long-term best interests in mind. From adopting new campus-wide policies and procedures to negotiating high-technology licenses and evaluating alternatives for resolving disputes involving students and staff, we tailor our representation to the unique aspects of higher education as well as our clients’ particular needs and circumstances. We help our academic clients understand their legal risks and explore their options for making cost-effective decisions, and we emphasize being readily accessible and developing personal, long-term relationships with our clients.