Cullen and Dykman and NJAW DEI Fellowship
Cullen and Dykman and New Jersey American Water (NJAW) share a commitment to advancing diversity, equity and inclusion in the legal profession. To further this collective goal, we have teamed up to offer law students who demonstrate a personal dedication to this effort a unique summer work experience where the fellow will be able to experience both law firm practice and in-house legal practice within the same summer.
The fellowship is awarded annually to one first year (or second year evening) law student committed to contributing meaningfully to the diversity of the legal community. The fellowship is a paid position that spans two summers. During the first summer, the fellow will spend five weeks working in one of Cullen and Dykman’s office locations (to be determined on a case-by-case basis), where the fellow will have the opportunity to experience the firm’s various practice areas while interacting with many different partners and associates. The fellow will then spend five weeks in the Legal Department of New Jersey American Water, where the fellow will gain the experience and perspective of an in-house attorney at a New Jersey utility.
In the second summer, after successful completion of the first summer, the fellow will receive an offer to join Cullen and Dykman’s Summer Associate Program and will be considered for an offer of full-time employment at the firm following law school graduation.
Eligible candidates must:
- be eligible to work in the United States;
- be enrolled in good standing in a JD program at an ABA-accredited law school in the U.S. with an expected graduation date of Spring 2025;
- have a long-term interest in practicing law at one of Cullen and Dykman’s offices; and
- not be the recipient of a similar diversity, equity and inclusion award or fellowship from another law firm or employer during the same time period.
Applicants must submit the following:
- Current resume.
- Undergraduate transcript (unofficial or official)
- Law school transcript (unofficial or official). If an applicant’s complete law school transcript for the preceding fall semester is not available at the time the application is submitted, the applicant must supplement their application with the complete unofficial transcript once available.
- A legal writing sample.
- A personal statement (not to exceed 500 words) that describes the applicant’s interest in participating in the fellowship and how the applicant will contribute meaningfully to diversity initiatives in the legal profession.
Applications will be accepted from eligible law students on a rolling basis beginning December 1, 2022 through February 28, 2023.
Candidates will interview with attorneys from both Cullen and Dykman and New Jersey American Water.
Applications must be submitted by email in a single Adobe PDF file to email@example.com using the following subject line “NJAW DEI Fellowship– LAST NAME, FIRST NAME”.
If you have any questions about the Cullen and Dykman Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Fellowship Program, please contact Dina Vespia, Chair of the Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Committee, at firstname.lastname@example.org.